Inspired by one of my all time favourite ice cream flavours, how could these cupcakes be a bad idea. Next time you want a childhood treat you should definitely try these. I originally wanted to use Junior Mints but couldn't easily get hold of them so substituted mint Poppets instead. Any soft centred, chocolate covered mint should work here. These are great with a cup of strong coffee.
90g dark chocolate
100g unsalted butter
100g self raising flour
15g cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking powder
150g light muscovado sugar
150g chocolate covered, soft centred mints
1 quantity of mint choc chip frosting
Makes 12 cupcakes.
- Preheat the oven to 180C fan oven. Put the paper cases in the muffin tray and fill a large oven proof dish with water and place in the bottom of the oven. The steam that is produced will help the cakes to rise and be lovely and light.
- Put the chocolate, butter and water in a saucepan and melt together over a low heat.
- Sieve together the dry ingredients then stir in the chocolate mixture and eggs until thoroughly combined.
- Stir through the chocolate covered mints then put a dollop of the mixture into each of the paper cases.
- Bake in the oven for around 20 minutes or until when a skewer comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before decorating with the frosting.