Monday 8 July 2013

apple sauce flapjacks


Some of you probably already know but I'm soon to be moving to Bangkok. I'm beyond excited but also a little overwhelmed but everything I need to get done before I go. Thankfully one of the items on my list is to use up as much of the stuff I've got lurking in my cupboards and fridge as possible. I hate waste and I couldn't face throwing away perfectly decent food.

I've recently come across the lovely Credit Crunch Munch people and thought this recipe totally fits in with their aims - money saving but super tasty food. Check them out Fuss Free Flavours, Fab Food 4 All and the current hosts Fish Fingers For Tea. Do check out their work when you get chance they've got some awesome ideas going on.


This flapjack recipe results in a fairly soft and tasty snacking treat and I suspect it may be a little more healthy than the typical flapjack due to the lower sugar/syrup quantities. I started with my standard easy flapjack recipe and made a couple of adjustments. So here it is.

Ingredients
500g rolled oats or muesli of your choice (I used 350 rolled oats, 50g dried cherries, 30g currants and 70g chopped hazelnuts)
250g butter
250g apple sauce (I had a jar of homemade apple sauce my mum had given me a while back)
100g soft brown sugar
  1. Preheat the oven to 160C fan. Grease a square brownie pan or other ovenproof dish
  2. In a saucepan over a low heat, melt the butter, sugar and apple sauce together until they are thoroughly combined. Don't panic if the sugar doesn't completely dissolve. 
  3. Throw in the the oats/muesli/nuts/dried fruit that you're using and coat thoroughly in the buttery sugary goodness. 
  4. Press the mixture into your prepared dish then put in the oven for around 45 minutes. The flapjack is ready once it is golden brown.
  5. Leave to cool for at least 5-10 minutes minutes before you mark into pieces.
  6. Now leave it to cool completely before turning out of the pan otherwise you'll just get all burnt and the flapjack will fall apart. Enjoy with a nice cup of tea.

1 comment:

  1. These look and sound fantastic! Good luck with the move (how exciting!) and thank you for entering Credit Crunch Munch.

    ReplyDelete

follow me

Follow Us